Founder of Mobile Bluetooth Dating App, CheekD, Lori Cheek is bringing a game-changing concept in the dating world. She puts her heart and passion into building relationships. Once a shark tank contestant, the charismatic NYC entrepreneur grew stronger after revisited her concept while keeping in mind the end goal of connecting strangers in real time – implementing the advice of the star ABC’s show panel.
Available in NYC only at first, the app is now used by thousands worldwide.
1. Tell us about you and your background, and what led you to creating Cheekd.
I’m an NYC based architect turned entrepreneur, Founder and CEO of Cheekd http://cheekd.com–a newly launched hyper speed Bluetooth mobile dating app that removes the “missed” from “missed connections.” After working in architecture, furniture and design for 15 years, I came up with an idea that lead me into the NYC world of technology and dating. I completely threw away my design career and I’m no longer building structures, I’m now building relationships.
In February of 2008, I was out to dinner with an architectural colleague. He’d spotted an attractive woman at a nearby table and scribbled, “want to have dinner?” on the back of his business card and slipped it to her as we were leaving the restaurant. He left with a date. I left with an idea. After over two years of brainstorming of how to remove the “business” out of the business card and to help facilitate real life connections without handing any personal information, I launched Cheekd.com. Cheekd, coined by The New York Times, as “the next generation of online dating” introduced a personal approach to online dating by moving the initial encounter offline with a potential physical/ real-life introduction.
2. Tell us about this incredible app and how it works.
The newly launched Cheekd reimagines online dating with a new app that makes missed connections obsolete. Cheekd uses a cross-platform low energy Bluetooth technology, which fosters hyper local engagement. The app connects people in real time, versus virtual time. Connections begin in person; Cheekd helps you take the next step and continue the conversation online.
Cheekd ensures you ‘Never Miss a Connection’; thanks to this new Bluetooth technology, the app works on the train; on a plane… anywhere—You’ll get a notification if someone who meets your criteria is within 30 feet of you. If you’re near a potential spark, Cheekd makes sure you know about it.
3. How is it different from regular dating apps?
Cheekd sets its self apart from other apps because it gives you the option to interact with a match before starting a virtual relationship with the compatible user. After setting up your page and what you’re looking for, Cheekd will then send you notifications when a potential match is within 30 feet of you.
Instead of encouraging users to continue to hide behind a screen, Cheekd pushes you to engage in social settings while paying attention to potential matches in the area. Our new dating app gives us the power to light the spark face-to-face first and leave the talking for later.
4. Why the name “Cheekd”?
Growing up with the last name Cheek was kind of a pain in the butt (excuse the pun) “cheeks,” but it finally came in handy. For weeks, I was racking my brain about the verb that was going to finish the statement, “you’ve been _________.” and then one day it hit me in the head. You’ve been “Cheekd!”
5. What type of singles sign up to Cheekd?
We were recently listed in an article as one of 7 dating websites that are perfect for people who usually hate online dating. Cheekd is for urban singles all over the world that are always on the go, love spontaneity and prefer face-to-face connections over virtual relationships.
6. How many members are in NYC Area?
We don’t disclose the actual numbers but thousands and growing rapidly! The app has gone international as well, so we have tens of thousands of users around the world.
7. You organized events once a month in the City. Tell us how members can find out about those and what happens there.
We hosting happy hours every couple of weeks around NYC where attendees must have the app downloaded for entry, which usually also comes with a free cocktail. Connections on the app are immediate once inside the event and singles are prompted to physically walk up to their matches and start a physical conversation. Member can find out about our upcoming events by following us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/cheekd and Twitter: http://twitter.com/cheekd.
8. Any advice you can give to singles looking for a date in the City?
1). Stop focusing on the fact that you’re single and start dating yourself. Work on becoming the “you” that you would want to date. Get yourself to the gym and start focusing on what makes you happy and eventually your confidence and independence might just spark someone’s interest.
2). Take a risk… When meeting friends out at night, show up at the bar 20 minutes early. Put your phone away, order a drink and smile at everyone that catches your eye. Even if it’s not the love of your life, he or she might be waiting for the one that will be.
3). While running your daily errands, at a cafe or on your morning commute (whether it be on a train platform, parking your car or even waiting to cross the street), force yourself to smile at the intriguing stranger next you and simply utter the word, “hi.” You really have absolutely nothing to lose except an opportunity.
9. What happens once two Cheekd members get matched and start talking? What type of icebreakers can the matched pair used?
When users are notified that a potential match is nearby, they can express or deny interest. If both are interested, then they will match or “get cheeky.” The app will then present them with more icebreaking personal profile info such as jobs, Facebook and Instagram links, etc. From there, the matched users can either approach each other in person at that very moment, or begin a conversation through the app.
10. What’s your first date best advice?
1) Keep the first date short and sweet and opt for something fun and casual.
2) Be on time and show up looking your best (the 14-second first impression rule still exists). When your date approaches, open your arms… There’s nothing more ice breaking than a friendly hug. A handshake on a first date can be so awkward.
3) Be polite, attentive and experiment with the dying art of flirting, if you are indeed actually interested.
4) When mid-date, do a chemistry check… If you don’t feel like you could actually end up kissing the person in front of you, you might not want to waste each other’s time, so cut the evening short. It might even save you both a lot of money.
5) Now for the finale…. Don’t say “I’ll call you.” if you have no intention of calling and if you do, follow up! The three-day rule is non-existent. Send a nice message the next morning.
11. Anything else you’d like to add? Download our app and get cheeky here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cheekd-online-dating/id807619613?ls=1&mt=8